CHESHIRE, Conn. – The CIAC is providing information for media coverage of the 2018 CIAC Basketball and Boys Hockey Tournament as the tournaments progress.
- There will be no credentialing process for tournament games in either sport prior to the finals, media can use identification they’ve used during the regular season. Media are encouraged to contact host sites in advance of the game to insure accommodations, particularly once events begin being held at neutral sites.
- With the addition of a fifth division in boys basketball, CIAC will be holding three separate media luncheons for basketball and hockey featuring athletes and coaches from the 24 finalists. The annual girls basketball media luncheon will be Wednesday March 14 from 10:30 a.m.-1:15 p.m. at the AquaTurf Club in Southington. A joint media luncheon for the boys ice hockey and boys basketball finalists from Divisions II-V will be Thursday, March 15 at the Sheraton Hartford South Hotel in Rocky Hill from 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. A media luncheon for the two Division I boys basketball finalists will be held at the CIAC offices in Cheshire on Friday March 16 from 10:30-1 pm. Media are asked to e-mail Joel Cookson at jcooksoncasciacorg (jcooksoncasciacorg) if they are planning to attend so the CIAC can get an accurate head count. Any changes to the schedule for the media luncheons due to changes in the tournament schedule will be announced with as much advanced notice as possible.
- The NFHS Network holds the exclusive streaming and broadcast rights for the CIAC basketball and hockey finals. Those planning to provide radio broadcast of CIAC Tournament finals must complete the CIAC Broadcast Application which is available here: http://casci.ac/1491 and pay the rights fee associated with those broadcasts in addition to submitting the online credential request.
- The schedule for the nine basketball finals will most likely be released the evening of Wednesday March 14 at the conclusion of most of the boys basketball semifinals assuming the tournaments remain on schedule. The semifinal rounds in hockey will also conclude on March 14.
- The CIAC will host the nine basketball finals at The Mohegan Sun Arena March 17-18 with five games played over two sessions on Saturday and four games in a single session on Sunday, and the three hockey finals March 16 and 17 at Yale University Ingalls Rink with the Division II final at 7:30 p.m. on Friday March 16, and the Division III and Division I finals at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. respectively on Saturday March 17. An online application for media credentials for championship games will be available on http://CIACsports.com at 12 p.m. on Monday, March 12 and a release with the credential application link will also be distributed.
- The 2018 CIAC Basketball Dedication ceremony will be held at The Cabaret Theater at the Mohegan Sun on Saturday March 17, beginning at 9 a.m. and is open to the public with no ticketing. Information about the honorees can be found here: http://casci.ac/3184.
- The basketball championship weekend also provides a showcase for Unified Sports basketball as a Unified game is scheduled to take place at halftime of four of the championship games. The two afternoon games on both Saturday and Sunday will feature Unified Sports teams competing on the Mohegan Sun court during halftime.