CHESHIRE,Conn.– The Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference Board of Control met for its monthly meeting in Cheshire on Thursday, April 25.
On the agenda were four voting items for the Board.
- The Board approved a recommendation from a CIAC Board Sub-Committee for sports committees to have the option of using a new success in tournament factor to determine classification assignment for CIAC competition for the 2013-14 academic year. Complete details on the new procedure which will be used for boys and girls basketball in 2013-14 and may be used in other sports will be provided in a separate release and can be found on-line here: LINK
- The Board approved a waiver for a school to participate in a winter hockey tournament over holiday break in 2013.
- The Board approved three by-law changes which require approval of the membership at the annual meeting Thursday May 9. The changes are as follows:
- Article VII – Tournaments, Meets and Games – Section A.4. The change involves member schools permitting athletes to compete “unattached” for a maximum of three days (a change from the previous rule which allowed two calendar days of which only one is a school day).
- Article XII – In-Season/Out-of-Season Rules – 1.0 During the Contest Season (in season rules) 1.1 Individual and Team Sports – Select Sports. The change adds language to emphasize that schools can determine whether a student-athlete will be permitted to be excused from a school contest to compete as an “unattached” competitor in other events.
- Article IX, Section B – Transgender Participation. Updated language to the CIAC policy regarding participation of transgender students in gender specific sports. The change reflects that the CIAC will defer to the determination of the student and his or her local school regarding gender identification.
- The Board denied an appeal request to waive a fine assessed to a school for use of an ineligible player.
The Board of Control is scheduled to meet again on Thursday, May 23.