CHESHIRE, Conn. – The CIAC has posted the 2016-17 edition of the CIAC Handbook as well as 2016 Tournament Packets for all fall sports with all the information available for view and download on CIACsports.com.
The Handbook includes detailed explanation of seven by-law changes approved during the last school season which are effective for the 2013-14 school year including new policy for transgender athlete participation, giving schools the option to use Sundays as make-up games upon mutual consent, and language to clarify CIAC policy on CIAC membership. CIAC staff members also edited the Handbook in an effort to clean up language and remove contradictory and outdated policy. The complete Handbook can be viewed here.
Each tournament packet includes valuable information including tournament dates and entry procedures, playing rules including NFHS rule change and all other information regarding the administration of the specific sports. Each packet contains content and editorial changes from the previous year, the most significant of which are highlighted below, and coaches and administrators should familiarize themselves with the entirety of the packet.
Noteworthy changes from last season or other relevant information from the tournament packets are as follows:
Boys & Girls Soccer (view tournament packet):
- The committee voted to use the recently approved success in tournament factor as part of assigning tournament divisions for the upcoming seasons. The factor is only applied to charter, magnet, parochial, vocational technical, vocational agricultural and Project Choice schools that have more than 25 male/female students from out-of-district. Schools that fit the criteria and reached the quarterfinals or beyond two of the past three years move up one division, while teams that fit the criteria and reached quarterfinals or above each of the past three years moved up two divisions. One boys team and six girls teams were impacted by the success factor for the 2013 season, and they are noted with a triple asterisk in the division listings in the packet.
Football (view tournament packet):
- The CIAC has adopted the Korey Stringer Institute guidelines for heat acclimatization for football, with the complete guidelines available in the packet. In addition for football, five (5) days of conditioning practice plus three (3) days of practice in full pads is required before a full team scrimmage.
Girls Volleyball (view tournament packet):
- Beginning this season teams may schedule up to 20 regular-season matches, and two of those matches may be multi-event tournaments. Results from multi-event tournaments may not count for CIAC Tournament qualification.
Boys & Girls Cross Country (view tournament packet):
- The CIAC division cross country championships will be held Saturday October, 26 at Wickham Park in Manchester, with a rain date of Sunday October 27 and/or Monday October 28. The cross country State Open will be Friday November 1 at Wickham Park with a rain date of Saturday November 2.
Field Hockey (view tournament packet):
- The NFHS provided a rule clarification on eyewear protection and face mask requirements.
Girls Swimming & Diving (view tournament packet):
- The location and times for the diving championships has changed. The class S and LL meets will be on Wednesday November 6 at Middletown High School and Bulkeley High School respectively. The class M and L meets will be Thursday November 7 at Middletown and Bulkeley respectively. For the meets at Middletown, warm-up will begin at 4 p.m. with competition starting at 5:30 p.m., and at Bulkeley warm-up begins at 3 p.m. with competition beginning at 4:30 p.m. There will now also be a coaches meeting 30 minutes before the start of the meet. The Open diving championships will be Friday November 15 at Middletown with warm-up beginning at 4 p.m. and competition at 5:30 p.m.