BOYS AND GIRLS INDOOR TRACK COMMITTEE MINUTES
September 3, 2015
Members present: Bill Baron, Corey Bernier, Brian Collins, Rich Kosta, Betty Remigino-Knapp, Brian LaFontaine, Tammy Schondelmayer, Doug Sharples, Dave Tetlow, Donn Friedman, Steve Wysowski, Chair and Joe Tonelli, CIAC.
Call to Order – The meeting was called to order by Steve Wysowski at 3:30 p.m.
Update Committee and Contact Information – Changes made and submitted.
Minutes – By unanimous consent, the minutes of March 10, 2015 were approved.
Financial Report – Steve and Joe reviewed the financial report that indicated that there was a slight increase in revenue for 2014-15 as compared to 2013-14.
Correspondence – None since the spring meeting. The committee was appreciative that the date of the first allowable meet was adjusted by two days, making it possible to schedule a meet or participate in an invitational on an additional Saturday.
Review of 2014-15 State Meets – All reports indicate that the 2014-15 meets went very well.
Old Business – The following items from the March meeting were discussed and finalized:
- Starting the high jump two inches below the qualifying standard was unanimously agreed upon. It was agreed upon to once again include this language in the 2015-16 packet.
- All agreed, for safety reasons, that the girls shot put would always go first without a rotation. Since the girls do not throw as far, this order of events would keep the sprint start areas clear.
- All agreed that we would follow the NFHS rules for scratching, the same as outdoor track. (One year trial)
- All agreed that schools would be able to list four alternates on the relay card, an increase of two additional competitors, totaling eight runners that can be submitted electronically. These names would hold through the state open. The NFHS language (with a three event limit) remains in place. Steve emphasized that because relays are excluded, an athlete may be listed, but NOT COMPETE in more than three events. Steve provided an illustration for clarification to show that an athlete can be listed in two running events and several relays, which is okay. However, if the athlete competes in the two running events then he or she can only run in one relay, totaling three events.
- A discussion took place relative to allowing coaches to enter a relay team in the state meet when the school never met a qualifying time during the season. The committee was not in favor of making this drastic change in philosophy.
- Qualifying standards for the pole vault were adjusted and will be reflected in the packet.
New Business – New rule changes update was given by Steve in his role on the NFHS rules committee. All new rule changes will be included in the packet. Steve highlighted a few of the changes for the committee.
NFHS Online Rule Interpreters Meeting – January 19, 2016 at 2:00 p.m. Steve invited interested committee members and meet directors to join him at CIAC to participate in the online meeting.
2015-16 Indoor Track Tournament Packet – The remainder of the meeting was used to review the indoor track packet and make the necessary revisions for 2015-16. This included the divisions which were established based upon the competitor numbers from last year’s meet provided by Dave Tetlow. The entry fees for indoor and outdoor track will remain the same as last year, but the adult ticket prices will be increased from $8 to $10, which will help the ticket sellers. On a motion by Doug Sharples, the 2015-16 indoor track packet with the agreed upon changes was unanimously approved.
Other Business – New England Meet – Donn said that because of a conflict with the NCAA championships, it appears that the meet will be held Sunday, February 28, 2016.
With no further business the meeting adjourned at 5:20 p.m. Next meeting will be Tuesday, March 8, 2016.