When the Summer Olympic Games kicked off with the opening ceremonies on Friday, July 27th, there were plenty of familiar faces for fans of the CIAC and Connecticut interscholastic sports to cheer for.
Not all the competitors were CIAC athletes (lots of successful rowers hailing from the state) but there are plenty of CIAC standouts among the group. The state newspapers have done a stellar job telling many of these stories, so check them out as they prepare to represent their state and their country as the games begin.
- The Hartford Courantâ€™s on-line edition has an entire section devoted to Olympians with state ties
- Daundre Barnaby, Hartford, 400 meters (Canada)
- Donn Cabral, Glastonbury, steeplechase
- Charlie Cole, New Canaan/Yale, men’s four (rowing)(Story 1)
- Charlie Cole, New Canaan/Yale, men’s four (rowing)(Story 2)
- Margaux Farrell, Woodbury, swimming, 4×200 relay (France)
- Sara Hendershot, Simsbury, women’s pair (rowing) (Story 1)
- Sara Hendershot, Simsbury, women’s pair (rowing) (Story 2)
- Ken Jurkowski, New Fairfield, single scull (rowing)
- Nick LaCava, Weston, lightweight men’s four (rowing)
- Lisa Stublic, Waterbury, marathon (Croatian team)
- Sarah Trowbridge, Guilford, women’s double sculls (rowing)
- Craig Kinsley, Fairfield Prep, javelin