The 2017 CIAC spring sports tournament packets are now all available online at CIACsports.com and linked below. CIAC spring sports are baseball, boys and girls lacrosse, boys and girls golf, boys and girls outdoor track and field, softball, boys and girls tennis, and boys volleyball.
Each tournament packet includes valuable information including tournament dates and entry procedures, playing rules including NFHS rule change and all other information regarding the administration of the specific sports. Points of interest and or confusion and emphasis from each packet are highlighted below, but coaches and administrators should familiarize themselves with the entirety of the packet, in particular relevant dates and entry deadlines and procedures.
Tournament divisions for these 11 sports for the upcoming season can be found on each sport’s mainpage at CIACsports.com.
- Baseball (view tournament packet): The biggest change for 2017 is the implementation of the new pitch limitation rule, which requires pitchers days of rest based on the number of pitches they throw. Coaches and schools should become familiar with all aspects of the rule prior to the season.
- Boys & Girls Golf (view tournament packet): There were no significant changes to the golf packet for this year. This year will see a continuation of the the partnership formed with the Connecticut State Golf Association to assist and take a leadership role in the administration of the five golf state championship events.
- Boys Lacrosse (view tournament packet): There were no significant changes to the boys lacrosse packet, though the packet includes an important reminder that there are potential conflicts with boys and girls tournament dates and national testing dates. The day of the boys and girls lacrosse championships is the same (June 10, 2017) as an ACT testing date, and there is an SAT testing date on June 3, which is a scheduled day for the boys lacrosse quarterfinals. Coaches are strongly encouraged to bring this to the attention of their athletes to help them plan ahead.
- Girls Lacrosse (view tournament packet): One change that is highlighted in the packet that effective January 1, 2017 optional headgear worn in high school girls lacrosse must meet specific performance standards. Please consult the packet for specific details about the standards and more information.
- Boys & Girls Outdoor Track & Field (view tournament packet): There were no major changes to the track & field packet from previous years. Coaches are encouraged to review the rules regarding the number of events in which competitors are allowed to compete.
- Softball (view tournament packet): There were no major changes to the softball packet. There are five NFHS rule changes included in the packet that teams should be aware of.
- Boys Tennis (view tournament packet): No significant changes to the packet, but a reminder for coaches to reinforce the unattached competitor rule which indicates athletes can compete as an unattached competitor in up to four events during the competition season.
- Girls Tennis (view tournament packet): No significant changes to the packet, but a reminder for coaches to reinforce the unattached competitor rule which indicates athletes can compete as an unattached competitor in up to four events during the competition season.
- Boys Volleyball (view tournament packet): There were no significant changes to the tournament packet. A reminder for schools and coaches that qualify and advance in CIAC tournaments to notify the tournament director of any conflicts with the June 6 semifinal date no later than Thursday June 1 at 4 p.m.