CHESHIRE, Conn. – The CIAC is providing information for media coverage of the 2017 CIAC Basketball and Boys Hockey Tournament as the tournaments progress.
- There will be no credentialing process for tournament games in either sport prior to the finals, media can use identification they’ve used during the regular season. Media are encouraged to contact host sites in advance of the game to insure accommodations.
- The annual CIAC Basketball and Hockey press conferences featuring athletes and coaches from the 22 finalists will be held on Wednesday March 15 and Thursday March 16 at the Aqua Turf Club in Southington. The girls basketball press conference will be held on Wednesday from 10:30 a.m.-1:15 p.m. and the joint boys basketball and ice hockey press conference will take place on Thursday from 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Media are asked to e-mail Joel Cookson at jcooksoncasciacorg (jcooksoncasciacorg) if they are planning to attend so the CIAC can get an accurate head count.
- The NFHS Network holds the exclusive streaming and broadcast rights for the CIAC basketball and hockey finals. Those wishing to produce a broadcast of a CIAC tournament game must complete a Broadcast Application which is available here to insure the contest is available for broadcast: http://casci.ac/1491 and pay the rights fee associated with those broadcasts.
- The schedule for the eight basketball finals will most likely be released the evening of Wednesday March 15 at the conclusion of the boys basketball semifinal round assuming the tournaments remain on schedule. The semifinal rounds in hockey will also conclude on March 15.
- The CIAC will host the eight basketball finals at The Mohegan Sun Arena March 18-19 with five games played over two sessions on Saturday and three games in a single session on Sunday, and the three hockey finals March 17 and 18 at Yale University Ingalls Rink with the Division II final at 7:30 p.m. on Friday March 17, and the Division III and Division I finals at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. respectively on Saturday March 18. An online application for media credentials for championship games will be available on http://CIACsports.com at 12 p.m. on Monday, March 13 and a release with the credential application link will also be distributed.
- The 2017 CIAC Basketball Dedication ceremony will be held at The Cabaret Theater at the Mohegan Sun on Saturday March 18, beginning at 9 a.m. and is open to the public with no ticketing. Information about the honorees can be found here: http://casci.ac/1842.
- The CIAC is also looking for writers interested in producing game stories for the basketball, hockey or swimming championships. Anyone interested should contact Joel Cookson via e-mail at jcooksoncasciacorg (jcooksoncasciacorg) .
- The basketball championship weekend also provides a showcase for Unified Sports basketball as a Unified game is scheduled to take place at halftime of four of the championship games. The two afternoon games on both Saturday and Sunday will feature Unified Sports teams competing on the Mohegan Sun court during halftime.