The CIAC Board of Control met for the first time for the 2012-13 academic year on Thursday, August 23 2012. Below are some highlights of the action taken by the board.
- Dr. Beth Smith, Principal of Shelton High School, was appointed to fill an at-large vacancy on the CIAC Eligibility Committee. She will serve a two-year term in 2012-13 and 2013-14.
- The Board agreed to appoint a non-voting school administrator from three leagues (Eastern Connecticut Conference, Berkshire League, North Central Connecticut Conference) which are not presently represented on the CIAC Board. The appointees will be appointed in consultation with the leagues.
- The Board voted to form a committee to address concerns from member schools about the multiplier system being used to place schools in divisions, in particular in relation to small schools of choice. The committee will will work to create a more fair system and present a proposal to the board by January of 2013.
- Consultants and CIAC staff members presented reports to the Board.
- The Board considered and acted upon a request for a hearing and a letter of self-report from two institutions.
- The Board discussed the implication of recently passed Gender Equity and Expression Non-Discrimination Laws.
The next board meeting will be September 20, 2012.