As expected, the frequency of team previews in the media are heating up as the start of the high school sports season inches closer. And there is a wide variety to sample today.
- The first story, however, is not a preview but rather an important piece from the Danbury News-Times about the growing use of steroids among female high school students. A very interesting story, particularly the notion that bucks conventional wisdom that steroids are always used as a performance enhancer. Strongly recommend checking out this story.
- The Connecticut Post provides a look at two different football teams, one which is trying to control its own destiny this year, and another that is trying to build on its modest success of last year.
- The Meriden Record-Journal also has a football preview, with a look at interim Cheshire football coach Don Drust Jr.
- Though he’s no longer a CIAC athlete it is worth noting that former Xavier standout Sean Marinan Jr. is a finalist for a prestigious honor.
- The New Haven Register details the attempts to schedule an annual cross league showdown in football.
- A nice feature about a former CIAC standout who will be inducted into the Southington Sports Hall of Fame.
- Thoughtful piece from the Stamford Advocate about softball standout Krista Robustelli and her decision to forgo summer travel play. Also, another football preview this time focusing on the Norwalk High School team.
- The Norwich Bulletin profiles the return from injury for Windham quarterback Alex Beaudreault.
- Two new soccer coaches are looking forward to the new season at Wamogo. Also from the Republican-American and its Red Zone blog is a look at the Wolcott Tech football program as it enters its fifth season.